Is Jim Webb The Only Sane Democrat Left?
Investor’s Business Daily
Ideology: A whimsical definition of a gaffe is "when a politician accidentally speaks the truth." By that measure, former Virginia Senator Jim Webb committed a gaffe of huge proportions over the weekend.
On "Meet the Press", Webb admitted that the Democratic Party has no ideas to offer, that it's determined to destroy the Trump administration and — here's the gaffe — that "the Democratic Party over the past five or six years has moved very far to the left."
To which we say, welcome to the party, pal.
For many years now, while the pundit class has been busy painting Republicans as radical, out-of-touch extremists, we were poring over polling data (both ours and others) and voting records, and we found that it's Democrats who have drifted well out of the mainstream on a wide variety of issues.
The latest IBD/TIPP polls reconfirm this, which can be readily seen when you compare Democrats' views to those of swing voters.
- More than half of independents (55%), for example, back Trump's temporary suspension of refugees coming into the country. Just 17% of Democrats do.
- Almost three quarters of Democrats approved the Obama administration's abstention on the UN vote attacking Israeli settlements. Only 40% of independents did.
- Three quarters of Democrats think Russia influenced the election outcome. Only 39% of independents do.
- Seventy percent of Democrats say Obama's presidency was a success, a sentiment shared by only 40% of independents.
- Nearly half of independents want Congress to repeal ObamaCare, compared with only 6% of Democrats. In fact, most Democrats want to expand ObamaCare, a view shared by just a third of independents.